Heretical Gaming is my blog about my gaming life, featuring small skirmishes and big battles from many historical periods (and some in the mythic past or the far future too). The focus is on battle reports using a wide variety of rules, with the occasional rules review, book review and odd musing about the gaming and history. Most of the battles use 6mm-sized figures and vehicles, but occasionally 15mm and 28mm figures appear too.

Sunday 11 November 2012

Some Recent Games

I've managed to get a few games in recently - I've definitely done better than usual!  I managed to get a game of  Polemos: SPQR in against my opponent.  The scenario was Gauls vs Romans, 20 bases a side, with the Gauls doing a half-cocked ambush against the Romans.  Despite the usual hesitancies of a 'first game', it was a very hard fought affair.  I was sure after five turns I was going to be utterly trounced, but the Romans fought on and in the end, triumphed.  There were some parts of the rules we never quite figured out properly (mainly with pursuits) but lots of good elements: the order system and the manoeuvre rules were particularly good.

I got a really fun game of Heroquest played with the family.  All very enjoyable, the dungeon-bash really appealed to our five-year old!  I played the Evil Wizard since I know the rules best, but  I'm hoping to get a go playing the heroes next time.  I'm even toying with the idea of getting some female versions of the four adventurers from Ral Partha.

Solo-gaming has been mainly Napoleonic, both Polemos: Napoleonics
and the Napoleonic Wargaming rules.  Both have there plus points but both have a couple of difficulties for how I wish to use them at the moment.  More on this in a later post, I think, as it ties in to some problems I've encountered with setting up a campaign.


No comments:

Post a Comment